dermatitis niquel

Allergic contact dermatitis due to nickel

Allergic contact dermatitis due to nickel 1920 1280 Jaritzy Negrín González

Nickel is a hard, malleable and ductile metal that forms fundamentally divalent compounds, mostly nickel salts (Chloride, Sulfate, Nitrate) of bluish green color.

It is the most common cause of allergic contact dermatitis in patients undergoing patch tests.

Where do you find it?

In multiple everyday objects: jewelry, scissors, keys, doorknobs, coins, clothing buttons, belt buckles, headphones, mobile phones, among others.

Sweating and close contact with the skin facilitate absorption and can lead to symptoms.

How does allergy occur?

As we have explained in many of our contents, frequent exposure to an allergen, in this case nickel, increases the risk of sensitization and allergy.

It has been associated with the use of earrings or body piercings.

What symptoms can you have?

Common reactions are eczema-like lesions in the area of contact, red skin that itches.

Delayed reactions such as airborne reactions from the use of sprays or systemic contact dermatitis may also occur.
It can be the origin of dermatitis in professionals such as cashiers, jewelers, electricians, car mechanics, painters, among others.

What should you do?

You must go to your allergy specialist, who will assess your case, and if necessary, perform patch tests. And you will have to avoid the use of objects that contain nickel.

Any doubts?

Contact with us

Dra Jaritzy Negrín González
Allergy Specialist